Learn to Sail
Learn to Sail Programs 2019-20
This summer the Club will offer three Learn to Sail Programs:
- Course 1 Tuesday 8 October to Friday 11 October 2019
- Course 2 Monday 17 to Friday 21 December 2019
- Course 3 Monday 20 to Friday 24 January 2020
We are also offering for those that have their own boat and are committed to racing for the 2019-2020 sailing season:
- Better Sailing: Monday 30 September to Wednesday 2 October 2019
All courses 10:00 am to 4:00 pm daily
Bookings opening soon. Send expression of interest to email@example.com
Each course has two groups
Beginners in Sabots – Designed for children aged from 8 to 12 who would like to learn the basic skills of sailing. For those that have never sailed before or have limited sailing experience.
Beginners in Lasers – Designed for older students up to the age of 18 with no or little sailing experience.
Each program runs for 5 days and covers both theory and practice.
What we provide
- Training boats (10 Sabots and 3 Lasers)
- Personal Flotation Devices - PFDs (Life Jackets)
- Sun protection cream
- A keen and dedicated group of instructors
- Lunch, Morning and Afternoon teas and refreshments
- Graduation barbecue and Certificate presentation on the Friday (5-7pm)
What you need to provide
- Kids keen to learn the basics of sailing that can swim at least 50 meters unassisted
- Parents who are keen for their kids to take on sailing as a sport
- Warm clothes for sailing, including a hat
- Suitable footwear
- We also encourage parents to spend some time during the week assisting with the course, from as little as 2 hours to the whole week. This allows the club’s volunteers to focus on teaching and adds another layer of safety.
At the clubhouse, Longueville Wharf, Stuart Street, Longueville
- Club Membership for the season.
- Use of the Club's "Learn to Sail" Sabots in our Learn to Race program immediately following the course (on Friday evenings).
- Use of the Club’s “Learn to Sail” Sabots in Club Racing immediately following the course for two half seasons.
Comments from previous courses
My son and his friend did their first learn to sail program in the October holidays and loved it!! You run a fantastic program thanks. They are both keen to enrol for the January program. K. 30/10/2017
Thanks so much to you and the team for a wonderful learn to sail week. Samuel LOVED it and is keen to do more. E. 26/1/2016
Alex described her first day as "awesome"!. T. 16/12/2014
Our kids had the most fabulous week last week learning to sail. I also enjoyed helping out and watching their progress. Thank you very much. A. 27/1/2014
Thank you for the wonderful week you created for Jack. He is really looking forward to the Learn to Race program. We'll see you on 31 January! Thanks again for sharing your passion for sailing with our son. J. 25/1/2014
I just wanted to pass on my thanks for the week so far. I came home tonight to a bubbly, chatty daughter (Sienna) who couldn't stop talking about what she was learning and her growing confidence in some new skills. I am so thrilled. I think we have a convert! L. 2/10/2013
Emma thoroughly enjoyed the “learn to sail” course that you and all your fellow members ran last week. The course was spot on for beginners and we were greatly impressed that you managed to get through everything in five days of such extreme weather conditions. Many thanks to you, the senior club members who helped through the week (we won’t try to list names as we are sure we would miss somebody) and all the junior instructors for their diligence and enthusiasm in teaching the learners. Also thanks to the members who joined the end of course barbecue on Friday evening and made the parents feel very welcome. You have a great club and should be proud of it! Again thanks and regards. C. 21/1/2013
Thanks very much Jack - my two (Poppy and Hugh) have been very much enjoying the week. Thanks so much to you and the team. A. 16/1/2013